Registrant subsidies for conventions – information for EDAs – 2021
An EDA can support registrants of a National or Provincial Convention but must respect the requirements outlined in the Canada Elections Act relating to Convention fees and any transactions from an EDA to support registrants. As such, please take note of the procedure described below.
PAYING CONVENTION REGISTRATION FEES
- Registration fees for attendance at a Convention are considered political contributions, eligible for tax receipts
- An EDA can cover the cost of a Convention registration fee by following the process set out below, but as EDA CANNOT reimburse an individual who has already paid the registration fee out-of-pocket. Note that if an EDA covers the registration fee, the registrant will not receive a tax receipt.
Process to pay registration fees
- The EDA should decide whose fees are being covered
- The registrants being paid for must each complete a paper registration form
- The EDA Financial Agent should write a cheque for the total amount of fees being covered, addressed to the Federal Liberal Agency of Canada
- Without exception, this cheque along with all paper registration forms must be received by LPC no later than a week prior to the first day of the Convention
- Submit all cheques and forms to: Liberal Party of Canada Attention: Finance 920-350 Albert Street Ottawa, ON K1P 6M8
- In the EDA Financial Return, this transaction must be recorded as a transfer, not as an expense
If you have any questions about the information above, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.